Fred Flamingo Big Brother Season 26 Blog - Twelfth Post

Fred Flamingo BB26.png

This post's question came from a user in the Morty's TV Chat, which Fred monitors even if he does not participate.  In his extended exit interview with Julie Chen Moonves, Tucker noted that he was the youngest of three siblings. Is there any correlation between birth order and how a contestant performs in a Reality TV competition show?

Here is what OpenAI's ChatGPT had to say:

The correlation between birth order and performance in reality TV competition shows is an intriguing topic, but research in this specific area is limited. However, broader studies on birth order suggest some patterns that could potentially influence how contestants perform in such environments.

Firstborns: Research often suggests that firstborns are more likely to be responsible, achievement-oriented, and conformist. These traits might give them an edge in reality competition shows where strategy, discipline, and leadership are key. Firstborns might also be more comfortable with authority figures, which could help manage alliances or stay on good terms with judges.

Middle Children: Middle children are often seen as adaptable, diplomatic, and skilled in negotiation, due to their position in the family. These traits could be beneficial in reality shows that require contestants to form alliances or mediate conflicts. However, middle children might also be more likely to fly under the radar, which could be a double-edged sword in competitive environments.

Youngest Children: Youngest children are often described as outgoing, risk-takers, and more rebellious. In a reality TV context, these traits could make them more entertaining to viewers and willing to take bold actions that could pay off. However, their perceived impulsivity might also lead to reckless decisions that could hinder long-term success.

Only Children: Only children tend to exhibit characteristics similar to firstborns, such as maturity and a strong sense of responsibility. However, they might also struggle with teamwork or collaboration if they are more accustomed to independence. This could be a disadvantage in team-based challenges but might be less of an issue in individual competitions.

While these general trends from psychological studies on birth order could suggest possible advantages or disadvantages in a reality TV competition, actual outcomes would vary greatly depending on individual personalities, the specific dynamics of the competition, and other external factors. Reality TV is unpredictable, and success often depends on a combination of strategy, luck, social skills, and entertainment value, which aren't solely determined by birth order.

Back to Fred:

Flamingos are highly social birds that exhibit strong family bonds. They typically form large colonies that can number in the thousands. Within these colonies, flamingos form pairs and raise their young together. However, they do not exhibit family bonds like humans, so they do not really have to deal with birth order issues.

Fred wants to know, where do you fall in your family lineup and how has that affected your personality?

Thanks Fred. This is the gist of the article I read. I am a first born and the description does fit, tho there were times in my life I liked to pretend I was an only child! I was the head of a dept. in a theater where I worked and as such had to hire my own staff. This was one of the questions I used to ask potential hires. My team always worked the best when I had a mix of people from all different places in birth order (men and/or women).

As a follow up to the birth order question I researched the birth order of all of this seasons HGs and found the following:

Of the 16 only 2 were the oldest, surprisingly, MJ and Leah;

There was only 1 only child, Brooklyn;

There were 2 sets of twins; TKor and Kenney (Tkor and sis were middles and Kenney was the few minutes younger twin)

Also middle children were Quinn and Lisa.

ALL of the rest--Kimo, Chelsie, Rubina, Tucker, Matt, Cedric, Angela, Joseph and Cam were the youngest of 3 or more kids (exceptions being Rubina and Cam being youngest of 2) As the youngest will their perceived impulsivity lead to making misguided decisions? ( ift has for Cedric, Tucker and Angela)Time will tell.

Will the 2 middles be skilled at negotiation or fly under the radar to victory? (Not Lisa)

As an only, Brooklyn's strong sense of responsibility led to her downfall!

Are MJ and Leah as firstborns more likely to be responsible, achievement-oriented, and conformist. These traits might give them an edge. They seem willing to bide their time and work with those in power to help achieve their goals.

We shall see soon enough how this all plays out.

This may not be interesting to most, but I find the concept fascinating. Thanks for reading.